Game Music with ClassicUO client

For the general silliness :D
warped

Game Music with ClassicUO client

Post by warped »

Edit:
I've been advised by Goldenflame that the following steps are rather sub-optimal for most players. I don't doubt it; Most of the problems I run in to and have to solve are oddball. I run linux, I either run UO through the wine compatibility layer (which pretty much rules out MIDI's entirely), or use ClassicUO, which is it's own quirky beast.

For better music, consult Goldenflame. He's got more selection than what I found. too.

Original post:
I had a spot of trouble getting any music to play (using the older 2D client.exe, and the ClassicUO client. Didn't bother trying the stock 3d one).

The solution was to move the mp3 files down one directory, eg from UO/Music/Digital/ to UO/Music/

In addition, the version of Stones that came with this UO Gold client is.. well, I'd call it garbage myself, but I'm sure someone somewhere liked it or it wouldn't have shipped.

For those interested in the original UO music, you can find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb1y8n3xviwds ... c.zip?dl=0 (67.57 MB)
I found that link, along with install instructions, on the uorforums here: http://uorforum.com/threads/definitive- ... sic.23086/
..-. .. ... ....
Goldenflame

Re: Game Music with ClassicUO client

Post by Goldenflame »

Hi there!

The post Warped linked to above was written for a different UO client than the Mondain's Legacy client most of us are using, and won't work for it. As such I set out to get it working on UO:ML, since boy howdy do I prefer the old music. This was a bit of a process- some of the mp3s provided in the download crash the UO:ML client outright, so I reprocessed them to make sure they were usable.

So: classic era UO music in the UO:ML client:

Step 1: Download this: http://tumbolian.org/UltimaLegacy/Digital.zip
Step 2: Go to your UO client installation folder (Program Files (x86)/EA Games/Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy for me), then go into the Music folder. Within you should see a folder called Digital.
Step 3: Rename Digital to Digital.bak.
Step 4: Unzip the zip file you downloaded in step 1 into the Music directory. There should now be a Digital directory again alongside the Digital.bak directory.

That's it! The next time you start the client, it should play mp3 versions of the old midi music.

I am encouraging Houston to modify the OG soundtrack specifically for Legacy if he wants to, and I'll host that version as well if it ever comes to be. ;)
warped

Post by warped »

Thanks Goldenflame!

For anyone using the ClassicUO client, you'll still need to move all the files from UO/Music/Digital/ down one level to UO/Music/.

I tracked that down to a version check mismatch in the ClassicUO code, and have a pull request open with the fix. Hopefully it gets accepted. Until then. manual-movement is the order of the day.
..-. .. ... ....
Goldenflame

Post by Goldenflame »

Additionally, if you are using the Classic client, it uses a slightly different ordering of the songs. The UO:ML client plays the track in slot 0 of config.txt on bootup, but older clients (and therefore Classic, which operates like even older ones did) used the song in slot 7.
The documentation that I had found for what songs go where in fact had the version of stones that plays on the login screen ("oldult06") in slot 7, but I moved it to make it work on the UO:ML client.
Therefore, to get the music the Classic client expects, you just have to make one quick change:

Open "config.txt".
Swap the contents of lines 0 and 7.

(Old version:

Code: Select all

0 oldult06
1 create1
2 dragflit
3 oldult02
4 oldult03
5 oldult04
6 oldult05
7 oldult01
New version:

Code: Select all

0 oldult01
1 create1
2 dragflit
3 oldult02
4 oldult03
5 oldult04
6 oldult05
7 oldult06
)

EDIT: Looks like this doesn't work and Classic client isn't looking at the config.txt file at all. Which means it is just hardcoded looking at the file "oldult01" to be its login screen music? So I guess you could straight up swap the filenames, or wait to see if Classic client accepts Warped's pull requests. :)